I suggest you ...

Add DirectSync to Basic Version

I see today's update added the pricing schema. I am extremely disappointed that DirectSync is being taken out of the Basic version. With Microsoft shutting down the Live Mesh network next year, I feel you have a way better chance of attracting the audience that used it if you keep that functionality free. I was one of the customers looking for a solution, and thought I had found it, until now.

3,112 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    kokuryuhakokuryuha shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    Patric HPatric H shared a merged idea: Make local sync available also for free users  ·   · 
    Martin CleaverMartin Cleaver shared a merged idea: Since when is local storage a "Pro" feature?  ·   · 
    closed  ·  Kevin AriesKevin Aries responded  · 

Thank you for commenting on this post during the beta period. We have read every comment and considered your input greatly. As product developers, we’re passionate about providing affordable, elegant solutions for our customers and we recognize the value that DirectSync provides for you as individuals and businesses.

Our Cubby product strategy is to provide customers with a choice for how they want to manage, share, store and secure their data. We’ve spent multiple man-years investing in and building Cubby to provide this choice, and hope our users will see value in it. DirectSync is an integral part of our solution for customers who, in addition to choice, value mobility, collaboration, manageability, and security. We’re striving to provide the highest quality user experience, one that our customers love, and one we’ll be able to continue to invest in.

We strongly considered alternative pricing schemes involving DirectSync, but in the end decided that it just didn’t support our long term strategy. We do not have any plans to offer DirectSync as part of a lower-cost or free option. We hope that you understand our decision and respect your decision to find alternative solutions should Cubby not be the right fit for you.

Best regards,
    The Cubby Team

781 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • JerryWithaJJerryWithaJ commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hey, Jacob,

Yeah, I'm afraid you missed it. This thread is 780+ comments long, after all. *I'm* amazed that they left it in place this long given how long it's been since the initial announcement. For me, it wasn't the cost. It was other issues. Take a look at BT Sync. If you're serious about walking, it's a good place for your next stop on the journey.

• Jacob DeschJacob Desch commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I certainly don't disagree with you, Jerry. For Cubby to survive, it needs to entice paying users. However, it also needs to retain its existing users who were on-board from the beginning and pulling the rug out from under us like this is, in my opinion, not the way to do so.

I don't even think I was notified of this change? I tend to tune out the majority of my non-personal email, so it's quite possible that I missed it, but really don't remember seeing anything about DirectSync being taken away.

I just don't appreciate depending on a file to be synced between two computers this morning, having it not be there and then having to troubleshoot for a half an hour before I find out that something free I've depended on for the past year or so is now going to cost me.

Existing users should have been grandfathered in or at the very least, offered a discount of some sort.

Jacob, just out of curiosity, what would you be willing to pay? You say you know it's not a lot of money for a pro account, but if people are not even willing to pay "not a lot money", how is Cubby to survive as a product? Free 5 GB syncing accounts *are* a dime a dozen but none of them makes any money by having lots who use only their free 5 GB account. They need something like, oh, say, Direct Sync, that will entice users to become paying users.

That said, you might give Bit Torrent Sync a try. Just like Cubby's Direct Sync, but doesn't keep constantly gobbling up 3-5% or more of your processor's cycles.

• Jacob DeschJacob Desch commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Now that my rage about having a feature taken away from me that I rely on daily has subsided, I feel I can post this comment. I am EXTREMELY disappointed in Cubby for doing this. You can't just dangle something like that in front of your users' faces and then yank it away under the guise of Cubby going from beta to an actual release and saying that my "demo has expired" (the "demo" I've been using from probably a year????).

As I said, DirectSync was something I rely on daily and something that I came to depend on. You think I need another free 5GB cloud syncing service??? They're a dime a dozen. The reason I was so excited about Cubby and signed up in the first place was because I could sync whatever I wanted between computers without worrying about running out of space. I feel betrayed by this. I can't even tell you.

Look, I know it's not a lot of money for a Pro account and I respect everyone's desire to make a buck, but pulling a bait 'n switch like this is pretty low...

• FernandoFernando commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Its a pity how #Cubby & #AeroFS decided to not offer a one time fee #Sync plan with no online storage #BitTorrentSync

Forgot to add the answer to the obvious [Q]: "If Cubby's all that great, why are you still looking? [A]: Because I don't like it that Cubby is constantly grabbing a usually small but sometimes large portion of my CPU when other sync services are having their expected no activity.

And the (usually vague other than "LMI won't give me what I want for free) complaints keep coming in. Recall, I am not an LMI fanboy. I demanded and received a refund over what they did to me with their earlier time stamp problem. If I could live with one service, I'd go with Dropbox, but I need two to keep my business and personal files apart., so I continue to keep me ear to the ground. As far as I can tell, Cubby is still the best (only) service when the requirements are a multiple folder solution with the ability to seed large folders. BitTorrent Sync? Maybe eventually, but what I got for trying to seed is copies of everything with "in conflict with version on <other computer>" or something similar. Jottacloud? Every so often--but you can rely on it--files get tagged with the date on which they are copied.rather than the date they were last modified and Jottacloud seems unable to fix it. Copy? I've watched Copy sit there while Cubby and Dropbox transfer files immediately. I intend to put all of the services through their paces again once I get done grading exams, since just about everything is in beta or newly out of beta. Complain about Cubby if you wish, but it's not so easily replaced or dismissed as many of the posts here suggest.

• LuisLuis commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I considered using cubby for some time, but it proved not worthy.

Adios Cubby!

• KnismogenicKnismogenic commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

@longlivebittorrentsync glad you're liking BitTorrent Sync! ...yes, development is moving fast, and as I've said previously, will certainly be the death of both Cubby and AeroFS!

...and yep, MS were stupid to kill of Mesh... and even stupider to try to convince us that SkyDrive was "better" than Mesh(!)

Anyway, for those of you who haven't tried BitTorrent Sync yet, it's 100% free and available for your OS here: http://labs.bittorrent.com/experiments/sync.html

...and I do feel for all those Cubby users who've reluctantly forked out for a pointless Cubby subscription because they felt they had no choice! If only they'd listened when I first posted here about BitTorrent Sync way back in Feb! ....anyway, I hope you guys make the switch to BitTorrent Sync and then demand your money back from Cubby/LogMeIn!

• longlivebittorrentsynclonglivebittorrentsync commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

BitTorrent Sync rocks!!!

Microsoft was stupid to kill LiveMesh.

Cubby was stupid to make DirectSync a paying functionality... you shot your longterm strategy in the foot.

BitTorrent Sync development is moving fast, new features are added regularly.
        - it works on Windows, OSX, Linux and several Linux based NAS
        - not central server to sign up/register with
        - you do not share anything with anyone else unless you want to
        - no internet access required.
        - Inside LAN peers will be discovered without DHT or trackers.
        - If you spend few minutes to setup peer with public IP:port (you could do this by using plain port mapping) and configure predefined hosts, then peers will be discovered using this static peer. Not mentioning that if you will use cheap VPS with installed Sync/Linux you will get peer with static ip:port, but also cloud storage.
        - soon to be released: private trackers and private relay
        - soon to be released: Android, iOS, WP8 versions

BitTorrent Sync rocks!!!

• JuliaJulia commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

@Knismogenic: Thanks for yr always solid and useful information! Yes, I'll soon give it a try!

@Julia - this is correct, but it's now in public alpha (It had previously been a closed alpha). I've been on the alpha team since mid-Feb, and since them there have been a number of updated builds. Even the builds back then in Feb were stable and usable, and now the current builds are very solid, to the point where I've been confident enough to now completely ditch both Cubby and AeroFS and use BitTorrent Sync as my sole sync solution.

In my opinion, it's ready to have its "alpha" tag dropped, but if you're worried about the "alpha" tag, maybe give it a go and try syncing some non-essential files first, and hopefully you'll soon see how solid and stable and lightning fast a sync product it is already! :)

• JuliaJulia commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

@Knismogenic: As I understand it, Bit Torrent Sync is still in Alpha. Am I correct?

@JerryWithaJ - don't let the word "torrent" put you off - BitTorrent Sync uses secure P2P technology to privately sync your devices. Your traffic/data doesn't go through other user's machines, and other user's traffic/data does not go through your devices.

@Bill, as a former Mesh, then Cubby, then AeroFS user myself, I know where you're coming from - Whilst in many ways AeroFS is better than Cubby (they don't charge for direct sync for a start!), I didn't like the fact that AeroFS required Java, and that you could only sync a single central folder between devices. - so do give BitTorrent Sync a try! It'll run on XP too (SP3 required), and there's a very good dedicated support forum too (http://forum.bittorrent.com/forum/56-bittorrent-sync/), which in which the developers of BitTorrent Sync are very active and responsive!

@Knismogenic: The word 'torrent' worries me. Does it mean that when I'm using it I'm also helping others sync their devices? That is, are others' data passing through whichever of my machines are logged in?

Thanks!

• BillBill commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Thanks Knismogenic, will be checking out SyncApp.
        I've been testing AeroFS between a Win7 & XP PC and have found it fails to sync file changes from XP to 7.
        Have sent numerous problem reports and have had fairly good support, but it hasn't been fixed as yet.

As many of you will know, I've been an alpha tester for BitTorrent's "SyncApp" project, so I just wanted to let you know that it's now available for public download at http://labs.bittorrent.com/experiments/sync.html

Unlike Cubby, BitTorrent Sync is - and will remain - 100% free, and allows for "Direct Sync" between your devices!

...and also unlike AeroFS (which I know a lot of you guys moved to when Cubby screwed us!), BitTorrent Sync doesn't require Java, and will allow you to sync ANY folder!!

So, sorry Cubby, but BitTorrent Sync will prove be the final nail in your coffin!!

I don't know how LMI could be any clearer. They said DIrectSync would not a freebie, they closed the thread in *December*, there hasn't been so much as a peep to the contrary. Anyone desperate enough for free direct syncing might look into AeroFS, which has its own issues, or isyncbox.

← Previous 1 3 4 5 36 37

Feedback and Knowledge Base